Sunday Worship and Special Services
Sunday worship at New Hope Presbyterian Church begins at 11 a.m. and customarily ends about 12:10 p.m. We celebrate Holy Communion on the first Sunday of each month, and all Christians, regardless of affiliation, are invited to share Communion with us.
The service always includes a special message for the youngest children early in the program. A supervised nursery is available within the building during worship. Separately, Sunday schools for adults and for youngsters begin at 9:45 a.m. in our annex. Visitors are welcome to participate.
Throughout the year, we schedule special Sunday worship services to enrich the spiritual life of church members.
- Easter features special music from our own saxophone and trumpet players, in addition to inspirational choral works.
- Christmas Eve features lessons and carols, led by our organist and choir.
- Ash Wednesday is a joint worship with Hillsborough Presbyterian Church.
- Holy Week services include worship on Maundy Thursday and Good Friday.
- Homecoming invites distant friends to return in August for a special service followed by food and fellowship.
- Outdoor Worship at least once yearly at Camp New Hope, which adjoins the church property.
Other special services include the Christmas pageant, campus ministries service, and occasional hymn sings.
Christmas Eve Services
The Christmas Eve Service of Lessons and Carols is closely modeled after the same service at King’s College of the University of Cambridge in East Anglia. At New Hope, it is the musical highlight of the year, featuring an extended prelude of music, special arrangements of hymns and carols, instrumental ensembles and guest musicians, and anthems by the Chancel Choir and Hand-bell Choir.
One guest musician called it “the most musical service” she had ever attended. Anyone can participate by joining one or more of the ensembles or by reading one of the lessons.